Pages

Saturday 18 July 2015

Make the most of being lost . . . In Istanbul

So often when I travel, I ask for directions. When I was in Ireland I was frequently given directions by pub "Do you know Davitt's Pub? Well turn left there and go straight on". Well, I didn't know Davitt's Pub, but by asking, I found it. Or . . . "Could you tell me the way to . . ", I might ask. "Now, I wouldn't start from here", would be the response. "Could you tell me then, how might I get to where I should begin"? "Do you know Davitt's Pub" . . and on it goes.

Today was somewhat similar, although in a language I did't understand, and in a city that was overcrowded with people holidaying. It was the beginning of Bayram - a festival marking the end of the Ramadan fast. It is a joyous family time and everyone was out taking advantage of their beautiful city.

As I wasn't able to do as I had originally planned, I was advised to walk along the Bosphorus: the remarkable body of water that connects the Sea of Marmara with the Black Sea and forms part of the boundary between Asia and Europe. Heavenly! And, I should begin my journey in Ortaköy! It sounds simple . . .

The first challenge was getting onto the bus. I couldn't get a bus ticket as all the shops that sold the necessary transit pass, were closed. When I tried to explain this to the bus driver, offering to pay him cash, he would not allow it . . enter a lovely man who, upon hearing my plight, paid my fare (1 Turkish Lire). I asked the bus driver, in simple English, if he could please let me know when we arrived at Ortaköy. He forgot.  I discovered this when every other bus passenger got off. . . And so, being the intrepid woman, my long walk along the Bosphorus took me back to Ortaköy.

On my journey I passed fishermen, swimmers, families sharing a picnic and not a single (other) tourist!


Once I had reached the place from where I should have begun my journey, I sat and recovered with a glass of wine and freshly caught fish, while watching tourist boats come and go.


So, the moral of the story is, if you find yourself lost, ask a stranger for help and find a lovely place to treat yourself. It can be discouraging when plans don't work out as expected, but the intrepid woman, seizes each opportunity and creates a new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment